My good fortune in being allowed to play a small part in supporting the growth of LivingSocial worldwide, has led me to working on sourcing candidates in 5 new countries in recent weeks. Balancing this with my own full-time job search activities, has therefore led to this being an interesting and challenging period to say the least!
My journey so far, walking the roads of contingency recruitment and the sourcing of a new full-time position, has taken me on a journey through the lands of the good, the bad and the ugly.
LivingSocial – one of the fastest growing companies in the world. A revolutionary player in the social commerce space, who build their business on core values of honesty, transparency of their service offering and a commitment to not only being the biggest in their sector but more importantly, the best. It continues to be an honour to play my small part in their success.
The Wetstein Group – it is only through the opportunity provided by Stu Wetstein and his wife Jean, that I have been able to serve LivingSocial. The experience of working with this team has led me to encourage a # of talented recruiters from my professional network to sign up and also benefit from the LivingSocial experience. Paying it forward like this has held the greatest joy of all.
Other contingency clients – I have been provided with the opportunity of serving a range of other company’s hiring needs in the last few months; experiences for which I continue to be grateful.
Recruitment to Recruitment – I am fortunate to be having my full-time job search complemented by a # of recruiters whose service levels, work ethic and skill make them stand out from their peers. For this, I highly recommend them – Jackie Rees, Alex Sorrell and Will Wood.
Recruitment to Recruitment – yes, again! Call me old-fashioned as far as service standards are concerned, but if someone communicates with you, is it not courtesy to respond back? Further and in what consistently gives this industry a bad name, if you are unable to apply basic service standards yourself, how can you demand them of others? To qualify this, an overview of my recent experience:
- I reach out to a # of new ‘recruiters for recruiters’, asking them to connect on LinkedIn, including a short message of what assistance I am looking for from them, in regards to my full-time job search.
- Most reply, agreeing to connect. Only 20% send any kind of accompanying message, along the lines of wanting further information and/or seeking to arrange an appointment to speak with me! For the other 80% – Strike 1!
- ‘OK’ I think, ‘I’ll try again’. I send a longer message to the others, this time qualifying my job search criteria in more detail. No responses for several days! Strike 2!
- Then hallelujah, 3 more replies! Except these 3 (remembering that they have left it up to a week before replying in any shape or form), send me a message to the effect that they are disappointed that I have connected with other recruiters, as they only like working with candidates who give them 100% exclusivity and unless I will give them this (and ‘sack’ those who responded brilliantly to me as a potential new customer), then they are not interested in working with me!! What! Hello?! Strike 3 and out!
Stalkers – unfortunately, the downside of being as active as I am on the social networking platforms, is that in addition to the great new connections I have made, it also leads one to attract
losers other followers as well – you know who you are! All I can say to these new ‘fans’ of mine is, get a life!
However, good experiences are being encountered every day, with great ones lying ahead of us.